Sure You Will...

It has always made me laugh when people (musicians I know) say things like the following:

"Yeah. If I don't make it as an entertainer, maybe I'll just be a session musician or something."

Okay. Sure. Here's the thing.... No, you won't. I have only known two people who were session musicians. One is a reigning fiddle champion, the other is an insanely gifted guitar player. (For instance, Alan Jackson's guitar tech heard this guy warming up and told him that he was the best guitar player he'd ever heard...yeah. He's pretty good.)

My point is, nine times out of 10, the session musicians are more talented than the talent. Of course, there are exceptions, but it's not like anyone can just walk into any given studio and say "Hey, I'm a drummer. Got any session work?" Doesn't work that way. You have to pay your dues just like everyone else. It's a focused endeavor, I'd gather.

This is what I'm talking about. Brent Mason has played with anyone who is anyone in country music, basically. And most people have never heard of him. I have heard very few guitar players as good as this guy, and even fewer who can pick like him. Think he's got a little bit of talent? I'd say so. Also, the bass player Michael Rhodes, is one of those guys every fan of country music has seen and heard, but most probably don't know his name.

If you haven't yet seen Standing in the Shadows of Motown, watch it. These are the quintessential session players. Their stories are actually pretty hilarious, more than anything, but it gives you an idea.

So all I'm saying is that if one can't make it as a 'performer', they probably won't be making it as a session musician either.

One Response to Sure You Will...

  1. SmH says:

    You're right. If you can't make it as a session musician you give it a shot as an entertainer.

    I know maybe 2 session musicians in LA right now, and they all started out touring first. One toured with Santana (drummer) the other with J-Lo (keyboard player, apparently she's really demanding, who knew?) and they both have to keep heading out on the road to keep paying those dues and building their reputations.

    I was in Austin and New Orleans a couple of summers ago and you could walk into any bar on Sixth or Bourbon Street and the "house" bands would blow you away. There was just so much talent in those scenes and none of those musicians will ever get the kind of recognition they probably should.