Hip-hop is Bigger Than The Government

Yes. It is.

Badu makes some good points. She also makes incredible music. These are facts. I'm still trying to sort out my feelings from the show last night.

The basics: Badu was 35 minutes late, walked onto the stage like she was waiting for someone to come up and lick her shoes, and then sang the hell out of a few highlights from her huge body of work. I went to the show with a friend who had a Bluesfest pass and had no interest in seeing Badu (or any idea of who she was). As soon as Badu came on stage - before she'd sung a word - my friend turned to me and said, "I don't like her." I still don't know whether or not I've let this play into my perspective on the show.

The band was tight as hell. Possibly one of the best bands I've ever seen live. The bassist was a standout. R&B bass players are always ridiculously talented, but this guy was incredible, and fun to watch, too.

So, amazing band, great vocalist, awesome songs. Why am I on the fence?

I just keep wondering: At what point does extreme talent justify arrogance? Or rather: At what point does arrogance detract from extreme talent?

Certainly I think any premier artist is going to have a touch of arrogance, or at least be extremely self-assured. I don't think you can get to the point of being a premier artist without at least thinking once or twice, "I am the best at what I do." But when you start abusing the crowd's love of what you do, it becomes an issue.

Because, to me, when Badu took to the stage, I felt like she had spent the last 35 minutes knowing the crowd wouldn't care once she opened her mouth. Which, fine. Maybe, musically, she made up for being late. Maybe fans can grant forgiveness if she jams on Kiss Me On My Neck for 10 minutes. But should they have to?

No, they shouldn't.

I know the music's good. I know she's going to come on stage and blow the crowd away with her style and voice and presence. I don't feel part of that presence has to be an air of not giving a fuck that thousands of people spent their money and their Saturday night on her.

So yes, the show was amazing, and if I were a regular fan and not someone who overthinks everything - especially where music is concerned - I'd probably have left thrilled that she played the hits and went late and kept The Tragically Hip (who I loathe) off the stage for a good 20 minutes.

I still love the music. I just don't ever want that to play into an artist's sense of entitlement.