I've Got a Jones Like Norah...

Before I started cleaning my apartment today, I was searching my collection for a soothing, unobtrusive album to listen to. I started with Herbie Hancock. A classic. There are few things more perfect to me than good piano jazz, and Herbie is one of the best (see his performance at the 2008 Grammys).

When that album was over, I went searching again. I wanted something in the same vein. I own a lot of jazz records, but wasn't feeling like listening to sax or trumpet. Then I came to Norah Jones' second album, Feels Like Home. When I got the album (in 2004, when it came out), I didn't love it. There were a handful of tunes I was really into, but the album got shelved after a few listens, only to be brought out when I was in the mood to hear Creepin' In (the duet with Dolly).

Something made me put it on today. I can't believe I didn't love this album immediately. I am mad at myself for not falling for its not-so-subtle bluegrass sensibilities.

So now I have a new theory about this album (and some others): Sometimes you aren't ready for the music when it comes to you, and it will resurface when you are ready. It isn't that you aren't "in the mood" for something. It's that it really doesn't affect you until you are ready to let it. For whatever reason, 4 years ago, I didn't care about this album. I remember thinking to myself on the second or third listen "OK. What's the big deal?"

Now I get it.