You Think You Know Me Well (but...)

I am having to remind myself to interact with people lately. It’s not good. Most acquaintances’ problems and stories are the least interesting thing to me right now. I don’t want to hear about it. I possess all the makings of a hermit.

I have said it before- it is not the people around me who are the problem. It is definitely me. I am still compassionate and empathetic to people and their issues, I would just rather not be the one they come to.

For as long as I remember, I have been the one people come to for advice. Advice on pretty much anything, actually. Where should I go to dinner? What should I wear? How should I break up with her? Should I get back together with him? I have loved it. I do love it. I want to be the one people trust and respect enough to ask for opinions and advice. That said, I don’t want every single person I know to pick my brain every day. What is my favourite restaurant in Ottawa? I don’t really want to share that. It is trivial and silly and a little bit selfish, but can’t a person keep some things to herself every now and again?

In my experience, when you tell people these little things- preferences, etc.- they seem to think they know you. Knowing that I like an Italian restaurant does not mean that you know me. Knowing I am from Ottawa does not define me as a person. It adds to who I am, but it is not who I am. Asking me for insiders’ tips on the places I have lived will not make us closer. It will annoy me.

There are people who, no matter what they ask me to divulge, I will. I trust them with the information. More importantly, I trust that they know that not everything I tell them is some clear window into my personality.