Aretha

It is not even 9:30, and already this morning I've listened to the following acts:

- Brad Paisley
- Patty Griffin
- Marc Broussard
- John Mayer
- Ray Lamontagne
- Augustana
- Kanye
- Aretha Franklin

What can I say? I've got a lot of moods...

Aretha is one of those singers that, no matter how many times I hear her sing, she still blows my mind. She is just so damn good. Effortless. A true talent. She just has it. Whatever it is that makes her so incredible, not many people have.

Every time I hear Think, it's like I'm hearing it for the first time. I know how cliché that sounds, but it's true. Listen to how she jumps an octave when she sings 'I.Q.' She just sings like she's having a conversation. It's that natural for her. She sings lyrics like most people speak.

In Ain't No Way, the background vocals in that song kill me. I mean, you could totally take away the lead vocals and that would still be an amazing song to me. Just holding that high note....Perfect vibrato, perfect tone. Just...perfect. Do yourself a favour and listen to that song on headphones.

She's just got more pure soul than anyone. Brilliant.