It's All Connected

Since I bought it last week, I've been listening - almost exclusively - to the new John Legend album. It's just...brilliant. Standout tracks are Quickly (which has an incredible guest vocal by Brandy), Take Me Away, Everybody Knows, and This Time.

John Legend, for me anyway, has the unique ability to both excite me and relax me simultaneously. He pairs a slow piano riff with incredibly passionate vocals and lyrics. He has songs that make my chest feel tight when I listen to them (it's a strange way of explaining it, but it's true). Just the range of emotions he elicits blows my mind.

I have a theory, since his last album came out, that all his track 8's are connected. The first being Ordinary People, then Again, and now This Time. In Ordinary People, the line is 'this time we'll take it slow'. Again is about one or both people in the relationship being unable to trust the other, and breaking up because of it. This Time is about wanting another chance. The lyrics: 'I can be all you need. This time its all of me.'

In my overly analytical brain, I want to believe that these three songs are about the same relationship. Whether that's the place Legend wrote them from or not is a whole other story, but I want to think that all the track 8's are connected. Maybe it's something only I have clued into. Maybe it's a fluke. But the themes are so similar that it's like he's telling the story through the songs, and connecting them all together by placing them in the same spot on the album. I love it.

John Mayer did the same thing, but he owned up to it. His song Covered in Rain is directly derived from City Love. Both are incredible songs. And if you have the Any Given Thursday album, you'll see that City Love is track 4 on disc one, and Covered in Rain is track 4 on disc 2.

Also (and again, this could be completely fabricated by me, similar to the John Legend connection), I want to believe that Come Back to Bed and Slow Dancing in a Burning Room are about the same relationship. Come Back to Bed being about wanting to hold on, and Slow Dancing about knowing that you need to let go.

Yes, I read too much into things sometimes, but I like it - it's mine. They are my theories and whether they are completely untrue, or insane, or unimaginable to others, it doesn't matter.

They are still mine.