Don't You Think We Oughta Know by Now

Two posts in one day? I know...I know...

It amazes me (though it probably shouldn't) how much one song can make you feel. I mean really feel. Like that hands trembling, eyes closed, take a deep breath, feel like you want to scream, kind of feeling.

I started out my day listening to Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Then went on to Josh Hoge, Patty Griffin, Damien Rice....Then Youtube got a hold of me, and I got sucked into the vortex, looking for good live videos of John Mayer (for far too long than I'd ever admit to, seeing as I was supposed to be working...oops). That quickly turned into me listening to the insane amount of John Mayer I have on myTunes.

Slow Dancing In A Burning Room. This might be my #2, all time favourite song. Second only to Lover, You Should've Come Over.

This song, the first time I heard it, made me cry. The lyrics, the guitar, the melody, just...everything about it blew me away. I can never skip over this song, or cut it short. I always need to listen to the entire thing. To do justice to what, in my opinion, is one of the most perfectly crafted songs I've ever heard.

So today, when the live version came on my headphones as I tried to work, I just turned it up, closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and let the song to do me what it wanted to.

Certain songs, or parts of songs, give me this feeling in my chest that is almost impossible to explain and only one other person has ever really understood. It feels like my chest is just full. I don't know how to describe it any better than that. Just an overwhelming feeling that makes your throat tight and you feel like your heart is going to beat out of your chest. I'm sure that makes me sound like a crazy, but I'm OK with that.

Slow Dancing In A Burning Room, for me, no matter how many times I listen to it, always gives me that feeling. As soon as I hear those opening notes.

Maybe that's what my life is; searching for whatever is going to give me that feeling. Music, love, work...whatever.

For now, the music is the only thing giving me the feeling. But I am perfectly OK with that.

And can I just say? Slow dancing in a burning room is the most perfectly beautiful metaphor for the end of a relationship that I have ever heard. Absolutely brilliant.