Patty Griffin

So, last weekend, I was lucky enough to have one of those days that makes you fall in love with things again. I don't know if I'm the only one who has those days, or feels those things, but I love those days.

Lately, I've been feeling completely out of place in this city. It drives me crazy and wears me down, and I feel sometimes like all the reasons I loved this city in the beginning don't apply anymore.

And then I had an amazing Saturday that included beautiful weather, He's Just Not That Into You (I love you, Justin Long), a great lunch with an old friend, and a stroll through the downtown area, stopping in at a huge record store I never get to go to.

So after about an hour of browsing (yes, an hour...I would have spent more if I hadn't started looking like a total shoplifter), I picked up a couple really hard to find albums, and headed home, taking a slow walk through a part of town I never get to, and just generally enjoying the day.

To top it off, Patty Griffin's album, Living With Ghosts, went in my CD player as soon as I got home, and damn, she's good.

I heard Let Him Fly when I was in my first year of college, and immediately needed more from her. But her albums were so hard to find that I just ended up downloading (legally!) a few of her tunes here and there. Then Children Running Through came out in wide release, and I bought it as soon as I could.

No one sings like Patty. No one writes like Patty. She cures me. No matter what I'm feeling, she makes it better. If I'm depressed, she pulls me up with songs like Burgundy Shoes and Up to the Mountain and Heavenly Day. If I need a good cry, it's Let Him Fly and Rain and Not Alone. She's amazing, and I adore her music so much. I don't even think I can put it into words.

So I took a Saturday, and I fell in love with the city again. I fell in love with walking alone, a scarf bundled around my neck and my hands in my pockets. And I fell in love with that record store. And I fell in love with an album from 1996 that I've been searching for for 5 years.

I need more days like that.