December Doesn't Mean Every Commercial Should Include Jingle Bells

Now that we are closing in on 'the holiday season' it seems every time I turn on the television, there is a new and more annoying commercial featuring some lame Christmas carol. Really? Does Blackberry need a holiday commercial? Those Best Buy ads have got to go. Canadian Tire isn't much better.

From a young age, I disliked cheesy Christmas music. For the end of our annual "operetta" in elementary school, we were all forced to sing Have a Holly Jolly Christmas. I hated every damn second of it. I am more a fan of traditional 'carols'. Oh Holy Night is my favourite Christmas song, with my favourite versions being by Martina McBride, Celine Dion (yeah, I said it) and *NSYNC.

That's not to say there are no great modern holiday tunes- there certainly are. I'm partial to anything off any of Harry Connick Jr.'s 4 Christmas albums. Seriously? 4 Albums? That guy must really love the holidays.

There are two 100%, perfectly acceptable Christmas albums (according to me).

1- Boys II Men. Amazing. Basically R&B tunes about buying gifts, snow, and/or breaking up with someone around Christmas. The appearance from Brian McKnight doesn't hurt.
2- *NSYNC. A Capella version of Oh Holy Night is one of, if not the, best version I've heard.

I love the holidays - I won't lie. I love everything about them. The smells, sounds, the feeling of being home with family. Giving gifts. Receiving gifts. Christmas dinner. Drinking wine with my brother while we make fun of my sister and/or the lame shows that are on television on Christmas night. For such a musical family, however, we never really listened to Christmas music together. I'm OK with that.

And I know that I would be the sister that my brother made fun of if he knew my two favourite Christmas albums are by Boys II Men and *NSYNC.....