It's a Gift

Last year, when I asked my brother what he wanted for Christmas, he asked me for two things specifically: Coffee beans from my (and his) favourite coffee shop, and a CD of some of the music I was listening to at the time.

I think the latter was as much of a gift for me as it was for him. He ended up with two full CD's of the songs that I'd loved over the year. It was a manic, eclectic, incredibly diverse list. I tried to make the playlists flow as nicely as possible, which was harder than I thought it'd be. One CD ended up being country-ish (which is exactly how it was labeled) and the other was more jazz/blues/soul/rock. This year is kind of the same, but kind of different.

This year, I have decided to do the same thing. I ended up with 45 songs on the shortlist. Yikes. So, I cut out the ones that I didn't think he'd be interested in. Estelle's American Boy? Not exactly his style.

What I was left with was two awesome albums that, if they were gifted to me, I would be happy with.

The bonus? I now have these two awesome playlists on myTunes that I can listen to any time I want. Win/Win!

If nothing else, it's shown me how my tastes have evolved in a year. It includes more rock (real rock, not cheesmo pseudo rock). It includes some jazz, some acoustic singer-songwriters. Some soul. Basically a little bit of everything.

And I love the reminder that my musical taste varies so widely. Love it. I know a lot of people say they will listen to anything, but that is actually mostly true with me.