In The Land of Women

I watched In The Land of Women on the weekend, and I've been thinking about it ever since. This happened the first time I watched this movie too. I can't explain it. It just hits me on all levels. Life and death, mothers and daughters, love and hate, confusion and clarity. This movie portrays all of that perfectly.

And there are some really fucking good lines. I wouldn't have cursed there, but it warranted it. I want to share, because I feel like others can benefit.

Sometimes we all need a little Adam Brody to open our eyes...

"There's a big fucking world out there. It's messy, and it's chaotic, and it's never, never ever the thing you'd expect. It is okay to be scared, but you cannot allow your fears to turn you into an asshole. Not when it comes to the people that love you, the people that need you."
"I'm on the plane out here, and I open my computer and I start reading these emails that I sent her, like 30 or more maybe, over the course of our relationship. And not just short messages, I'm talking about long, involved love letters. Like, desperately trying to be romantic and poetic, whatever. And embarrassing as it is, it's also like, kind of the best stuff I've ever written. Because it's got this naive idealism thing going on where ours is going to be one of the greatest love stories ever told, and I'm writing it. So I'm sitting there and I'm reading these emails and there's some turbulence, and I start to have this massive panic attack, like nothing I've ever had, and I think it's happening because I can never imagine feeling that way about anybody else, ever again."

One Response to In The Land of Women

  1. The movie spoke to me, too. Maybe not in the way it did to you, because I think you have this innate sense of understanding that most people don't. The sense that showes through your work, through every piece of writing that you've done. Even simple sentences. And this movie showed so many emotions in such simple ways. Absolutely loved it.