Say What You Are, Be What You Say

I once read a book on 'tips for being a successful writer'. Well, 'read' would be a generous description. I browsed through it in the bookstore. I kind of thought it was bullshit. You can't just read a book and be a writer. It doesn't work that way. It takes a hell of a lot more than that.

But I digress.

The only thing in that book that I found valid at all - that made sense to me - was the author said something along the lines of, if you want to write, if you want to be a writer, SAY you're a writer.

Don't say you write. Don't say you kind of toy with things. Don't say you're thinking of writing something, or that you want to write a novel someday. If someone asks you what you do for a living, say you're a writer. Commit to it.

I actually think that's some good advice. I've just recently started thinking of myself as a writer above pretty much everything else.

So I think that when someone asks me what I do, I'll say that I'm a writer from now on.

Now, if I can just find a way to make some money at it, I'll be golden!

One Response to Say What You Are, Be What You Say

  1. Helen says:

    Sheena

    So you reduced me to tears yesterday morning with your latest post on fanfiction...and also made me late to my fitting for my bridesmaid dress, but who cares?!

    Just wanted to let you know I've been thinking of you as a writer for months and months now - you more so than anyone else's writing that I read - glad that you're seeing yourself the same way ;o)

    That was all, just wanted you to know.

    Helen x