Just For the Record

Courtesy Austin Nichols:

"Humid as all get-out. Curly hair. Incredibly gracious people.
Almost as nice as Canadians. God I love Canadians."
Well, Austin, Canadians love you, too. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

This little excerpt from an adorable little blog made me smile. And that little smile made me come to a big realization.

You need to take the smiles as they come. That probably sounds ridiculous and/or obvious, but it's true. This is a crazy world. Really crazy. Every day, we encounter things that make us upset, angry, irritated, hurt...The list of the negative goes on and on.

So let's focus on the positive, shall we?

Simple little things that make one smile can be the best parts of one's day.

One perfect line in a song that makes you close your eyes and really listen. Realizing it's your parents' 30th wedding anniversary. Zoodles for lunch. Good tea with a good friend. Silence. Sounds. A second glance from a complete stranger. Rain. Sun. Being 10 minutes late for work because you caught 10 extra minutes of sleep (and not apologizing for it!).

Sure, I could go into a huge list of all the things from my day that made me frown, but why dwell on them? Why revisit the negative, when I can focus on the positives? It's such a silly thing to even say - it should be a given - but I have a tendency to live in the negative moments and completely gloss over the good ones.

So the person in the office next to mine is continually dialing out on speakerphone (one of my biggest pet peeves!)? Well, that's OK. I've got Sara Bareilles singing about Vegas and Fairytales and Gravity in my ears.

Lyric of the day: But you're a lovely creation and I like to think that I am too / But my friend said I look better without you.