All in my head

Every now and again, a song comes along that grabs you by the heart and holds onto you. You realize that the song is, somehow, written like a song you would have written. Does that make sense? I just mean that it feels in some strange way like it came from your own head and heart and not someone else's.

I've talked about it before, the idea of an artist growing with you, or you growing with an artist, as the case may be. I guess there's no real difference; both those things are the same, ultimately connecting you in some way with someone you have never and probably will never meet. I think most people know that John Mayer is this artist for me. I feel like John at 24-25 was me at 18-19. John at 29 was me at 22-23. John at 32 is me at 25.

It's so weird that sometimes I think I'm making it up, but it feels like he writes exactly what I need to hear, exactly what I'm feeling but just can't (or won't) express.

His new album comes out next week, and it was leaked (of course). I told myself I wasn't going to listen until I get the album, but I had to listen to Half of My Heart, a song he blogged/posted a video of when he was in the process of writing/recording it. I loved it even then, when all he was showcasing was guitar and some cool harmonies on the chorus. Taylor Swift sings BGs on the final cut.

This song is killer. I have a feeling this album is going to represent the best of all three of his prior albums. Acoustic rhythm, blues riffs, and rock undertones. I think he's taking all those incarnations of who he is as a musician and melding them all together into something really, really special.

And what's more, his lyrics slay me. Absolutely slay me. For instance:

I was born in the arms of imaginary friends
Free to roam made a home out of everywhere I've been
Half of my heart has a real good imagination
Half of my heart's got you
Half of my heart's got a right mind to tell you that
Half of my heart won't do
Half of my heart in a shotgun wedding
To a bride with a paper ring
But half of my heart is the part of a man
Who's never truly loved anything