The Word 'Just'

So here's a little rant that'll probably mean nothing to anyone, since in all likelihood I won't be able to explain my point properly.

It's not just a game.

It's not just a song.

It's not just a book.

It's not just a feeling.

If it is something, it's not just something. It's never just something.

It's a slap in the face when someone takes something you love and puts the word 'just' in front of it. It's patronizing and offensive, and people should learn not to do it. Think about it. You love your dog? If someone were to say to you, "it's just a pet," you'd probably be pretty upset, because that dog is a hell of a lot more than a pet to you.

This is not the intended use of this word, if you ask me.

And that's not just semantics.

One Response to The Word 'Just'

  1. Anonymous says:

    I know exactly what you mean. I can be pretty loud and opinionated over things I care about and I was having a conversation with a friend who responded to my enthusiasm with "But that's just you being feisty". That comment made me so angry.

    (I just discovered your blog through ff.net and I am enjoying reading our writing thoroughly!)