Okay, for real...

I know I talk about Boyz II Men often enough, and people will laugh at that, and I'm fine with that. I am nothing if not understanding about peoples' different tastes in music. I get it, really. And I don't ever want to make it seem like I'm shoving my opinion on any topic or artist down anyone's throat.

That said...(ahem)...

Cut Boyz II Men some slack.

Now, I'm not saying you have to go out and buy all their albums (although...). I'm just saying they deserve so much more respect than they get. These guys practically invented new jack swing, and even if they didn't, they certainly took it to the mainstream. Ever found yourself singing Motown Philly?

"Boyz II Men, ABC, BBD."


End of the Road? On Bended Knee? I'll Make Love to You?

These men are living legends. Yeah, I said that. Legends. And I mean it quite seriously. When you think of other male R&B groups, you think of New Edition (now defunct), Jodeci (ditto). Color Me Badd, Blackstreet, All-4-One? Come on. None of those groups even holds a candle to Boyz II Men, based on longevity alone. These guys have been in the business for 20 years in an era where hardly anyone is in the business for 20 years.

I had the privilege of seeing these guys live about five years ago. I drove an hour and a half because almost as long as I can remember, I have loved them. The show was amazing. Pure vocal skill. Pure, natural skill. Nowadays vocal acrobatics are just so overdone. Anyone who goes on a show like American Idol and sings a few runs can be looked at as some kind of god. These guys' runs are well placed and tasteful. Yes, tasteful. And there is, in my opinion, such a thing as a distasteful run (see; Christina Aguilera, 70% of the time). Wanye Morris is one of the generation's best vocalists. No exaggeration.

And the thing is? Boyz II Men don't get a lot of press. They quietly fly under the radar and keep making records and selling out shows with very little recognition for how they consistently release great music. It's a shame, really, that they don't get the respect they so badly deserve.

The first cassette tape I ever bought was Boyz II Men, II. I was in the fourth grade. On Bended Knee was the first song I ever heard and called my favourite. And it is still on that list.

Speaking of lists, if you were persuaded by any of this to check out some more of their collection, I'll throw out a few of my faves.

1- On Bended Knee. Just a must listen.
2- Can You Stand The Rain. A capella cover of a New Edition song that blows the original out of the water. I cannot listen to this song and not get goose bumps.
3- 4 Seasons of Loneliness. Beautiful concept, beautiful harmonies (as always).
4- The Tracks of My Tears. Another great cover. One of the best songs ever written, but that's a rant for another blog.
5- Water Run Dry. Just...Just listen to it. The melody is enviable. This might not be the best version ever, but I am a sucker for stripped down versions of songs.

And this, off the new album, just blows me away. I Can't Make You Love Me is one of those songs that should just never, ever be touched unless it's certain the artist can do it justice. Needless to say, this cover gets my stamp of approval.

Annnnd end rant.