Bring Me Down

Bring Me Down is an incredible song off Miranda Lambert's first album.

I love this song. The melody, the lyrics, amazing concept.

This is one of the songs I learned on guitar, in those early stages of playing, when I was fumbling through chords and looking for songs that I was capable of making sound half-decent. So I learned this song, and could sing and play it and it sounded alright; good, even.

It was right before I left on the road trip from Toronto to Vancouver when I moved west, and so it was fresh in my mind when we stopped in Moose Jaw, and I grabbed my acoustic as the sun was setting. There's a picture of me, sitting cross-legged on the grass, singing this song.

I didn't know that the picture was taken until it was shown to me, and my roommate/travel partner told me, in that way that was so uniquely him, that he liked the song.

I've talked about it before; how music can transport you back to a time or place.

Every time I hear this song - which isn't often because it's hard, sometimes, to go back to that time and place - I am with him, sitting in Moose Jaw, singing softly while he lays on the grass.

It should be a great memory, and it kind of is, but it's hard to relive it. And this song, in hindsight, is so fitting that it's not even funny.

Here's why:

You can't appreciate the time it takes/To kick a love I always knew was kind of wrong.