David Nail

David Nail.

Honestly, I could just leave that here, a link to his site, and let you guys discover him on your own, but...I just can't.

That said, I don't know if I can explain this properly either. This is my attempt...bear with me.

I was listening to a random song from 2006 yesterday (Josh Turner's Your Man) on Youtube, and one of the 'related videos' was a song by David Nail. I'd heard the name thrown around from time to time, but our exposure to really good acts out of Nashville is limited up here in Canada. I listened to his song Red Light.

And then every other song I could find.

Then one of my fave artists (Josh Hoge) tweeted about David Nail.

And then I bought his album.

Every once in a while, you buy music that, before you're even done listening to the album in its entirety, you know that it's going to be a favourite of yours. I'm trying to remember the last time this happened (other than The BP3). I have a feeling this album, I'm About To Come Alive, is going to get me through to January. Sure, there are albums slated for release before then (notably, John Mayer's new one) that I'm looking forward to, but I have a feeling this one is going to be a standby.

It'll be one of those albums that you just put on any time. Driving, working, reading, writing, doing housework. Whatever. It's got a good vibe to it. At the risk of sounding like a total weirdo, it feels warm somehow. It feels like Nashville (a city I've been trying to get to for years and years). There are a few country artists who feel like Nashville to me. Miranda Lambert is one (she sings backgrounds on this album, by the way). Chuck Wicks is another, to a degree. Lee Ann Womack is another. And there's a difference between being country and sounding country, and being country and sounding like Nashville.

That sounds completely absurd.

I'm going to shut up now and just let the guy's music say what I can't.

David Nail - Red Light (official video)

2 Responses to David Nail

  1. Jo says:

    red light = FREAKING LOVE.

    but you don't know that do you? haha.

    he's a good one, definatelyyyy. it came on while i was riding yesterdayyyy!

  2. Anonymous says:

    You ever listen to Luke Bryan? I like his song Do I... same kind of feel.